Tuesday 31 January 2012

Cynthia Nixon Clarifies Comments: "Bisexuality Is Not a Choice"

Cynthia Nixon Clarifies Comments: "Bisexuality Is Not a Choice"

Cynthia Nixon Clarifies Comments: "Bisexuality Is Not a Choice", Star explains controversial 'gay' remark, Cynthia Nixon sings a slightly different tune after stating that she chose to be in a gay relationship. Cynthia Nixon has backtracked on her controversial sexuality remarks, saying that "bisexuality is not a choice."


The Sex and the City star drew ire from gay rights activists last week when she was quoted in a New York Times piece as saying that, for her, being gay "is a choice."

Sex and the City's Cynthia Nixon: I'm gay by choice

"My recent comments in The New York Times were about me and my personal story of being gay," Nixon tells The Advocate in a statement. "I believe we all have different ways we came to the gay community and we can't and shouldn't be pigeon-holed into one cultural narrative which can be uninclusive and disempowering. However, to the extent that anyone wishes to interpret my words in a strictly legal context I would like to clarify:

"While I don't often use the word, the technically precise term for my orientation is bisexual. I believe bisexuality is not a choice, it is a fact. What I have 'chosen' is to be in a gay relationship.

"As I said in the Times and will say again here, I do, however, believe that most members of our community — as well as the majority of heterosexuals — cannot and do not choose the gender of the persons with whom they seek to have intimate relationships because, unlike me, they are only attracted to one sex.

"Our community is not a monolith, thank goodness, any more than America itself is. I look forward to and will continue to work toward the day when America recognizes all of us as full and equal citizens."

Nixon's clarification comes a week after several members of the gay and lesbian community, including celebrity chef Cat Cora, criticized the actress for her initial comments. "I'm gay, and I was born this way," Cora told the ladies of The Talk. "I really feel like it was dangerous and irresponsible of Cynthia, especially in this environment today when so many young people are taking their lives."

Nixon, 45, is engaged to her partner of eight years, Christine Marinoni, who gave birth to their son Max last year. Prior to their relationship, Nixon, who is currently sporting a bald head for a Broadway role, was in a 15-year relationship with Danny Mozes, with whom she has two children.

via: yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment